Learn how to create a filter for a Power BI report and share a filtered Power BI report. You can also view useful information on how to grant access to users whom you have shared a report, to the underlying dataset. We have also included some troubleshooting information to achieve a good user experience with Power BI reports and dashboards.
- Add ‘?filter=tablename/fieldname eq value’ to the end of the report page URL.
- The field must consist of type number, datetime, or string.
- If the name of the table is Store, name of the field is Territory, and value you wish to filter is NC, then the field will be ‘?filter=Store/Territory eq 'NC'’.
- Your browser will then expand the field with special characters to represent slashes, spaces, and apostrophes.
How to share a filtered Power BI Report?
- Go to the dashboard or report and choose Share.
- Clear the Send email notification to recipients check box.
- Send the link with the filter you created in the first stage.
- You can also filter a report using query string parameters in the URL.
How to grant access to users whom you have shared a report, to the underlying dataset?
- Navigate to the Datasets tab in your content list.
- Look for the ellipsis near the dataset > Manage Permissions.
- Click on Add user.
- Enter the complete email address for distribution groups, individuals, or security groups.
- Select Add.
How to troubleshoot Unable to Share dashboard or report error?
- If you are seeing an Unable to share error message, it means you don’t have permission to reshare the underlying content of a report or dashboard.
- You can achieve permission to share related reports or datasets from the report author.
- Request for the re-sharing permission and share the reports and datasets easily.
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.