Learn some useful tips and information about uploading files and folders to a Document Library in SharePoint. Know how to upload files to a SharePoint Document Library using the drag and drop method.
How to upload files to a SharePoint Document Library using the drag and drop method
- Sign-in to SharePoint and go to the document library you wish to upload files.
- Select the files or folders located on your computer.
- Drag and drop the files into the Document Library page.
- Note that uploading folders are not supported in Internet Explorer 11.
Tips to upload large or multiple files to a document library
- To solve the errors that could occur while uploading large size files, you can use OneDrive Sync.
- When using drag and drop, limit the number of files at a time to 100 or less.
- A never-ending ‘Working On It’ error message may appear while uploading files exceeding 15 GB size.
- Check out the ‘Microsoft Support: Internet Explorer error "connection timed out" when server does not respond’ solution to solve the issue.
Top tips to complete uploading without issues
- Know the file types that are blocked for security reasons in the document library.
- There might be restrictions on some document libraries regarding the file limit that can be uploaded at a time.
- Document libraries can be set up to specific content types and fields.
- Update Office if you don’t see the drag and drop option.
What are the additional requirements one might encounter while uploading files and folders to the document library
- When uploading files to a library that requires checkout, the file will be checked out to you at first.
- Check the file in to allow other people to edit it.
- For libraries configured to track versions, you can upload revised files as a new version of the existing file.
- Consider adding comments to help others easily understand changes.
- Fill the file properties form to make it easier for others to know more about the file.
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.