Check Out, Check In and Versions are important features that let users manage files and documents in a library effectively. Learn how to check out and check in files to a SharePoint Document Library. You can also discover how to discard a check out from a document library, and steps to make it mandatory to check out a file before editing.
- Go to the library with the file, hover over the file and select the check mark.
- Select the ellipse (…) from the toolbar, and pick Check Out.
- Click on the refresh icon to know the progress of the check out process.
- Once the file is checked out, you can see a green arrow over it.
How to check in a file to a document library?
- Enter the library with the file you want to check in.
- Click the check mark found while hovering over the file.
- Select the ellipse from the toolbar and choose Check In.
- Add any comments or description of the changes you made in the dialogue box.
- Click Check In when you are done.
Steps to discard a check-out from a document library
- Go to the library and hover over the file to select the check mark.
- Pick Discard Check Out by clicking the ellipses from the toolbar.
- Click on Discard Check Out in the confirmation dialogue box that appears.
- Click on the icon above the Discard Check Out message to confirm the file’s check out status.
Steps to make it mandatory to check out a file before editing
- Go to the library in which you want to configure the settings.
- Pick Library Settings by clicking on Settings.
- Select Versioning Settings from the Settings Page.
- From the Versioning Settings page, enable Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited by choosing Yes.
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.