Learn how to change the default experience of lists and libraries in SharePoint Online. You can also understand how to easily know who has files checked out in SharePoint Online, steps to choose which column to display in a document library, and tips to choose which column to display in a document library. There are also handy tips on how to arrange the columns in a document library.
- Go to https://admin.microsoft.com and sign in as Global or SharePoint Admin.
- From Admin Centers in the left pane, choose SharePoint.
- In case the classic SharePoint admin center appears, choose new SharePoint Admin Center by picking Try it now.
- Select Settings from the left pane of the new SharePoint admin center.
- Pick Lists & Libraries and switch to Use the new experience by turning it On.
How to see who has files checked out in SharePoint Online?
You can view the users who have files checked out in two simple ways.
- The first method is to just hover over the Checked-Out icon. This reveals to you who has the file checked out.
- The second method is to display the Check Out By column as the default view of the library.
- This method makes it easier for everyone to see who has the file checked out.
- When creating a custom view of a document library, choose which columns to show and hide.
Steps to choose which column to display in a document library
- Go to the document library where you wish to create a custom view.
- From the document library page, select + or + Add column.
- Select the column type, name it and include any other data preferred.
- Click save.
- Select Show/hide columns, choose the columns to show or hide, and click Apply.
Tips to arrange the columns in a document library
- Go to the document library page.
- From the heading bar, click + or + Add column.
- Choose Show/hide columns from the bottom of the list.
- From the Edit view columns pane, pick the preferred columns and use the up or down arrows, or drag and drop to change the order in which columns are displayed.
- Click Apply after making the changes.
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.