Here are some tips on how to add tasks to a timeline in SharePoint, and steps to change the appearance of the timeline to a preferred manner. Learn how to indent or outdent tasks, and how to move tasks in the timeline.
How to add tasks to a timeline in SharePoint
- After adding tasks to a project, go to Tasks page and select the task you want to add.
- From the Tasks tab, click on Add to timeline option in the Actions
- You can also perform this action by clicking on the (…) placed next to each task.
- Choose Add to timeline from the box that appears.
Steps to change the appearance of the timeline.
- Select the timeline by clicking on the title.
- Change the size, font face, color, and format from the Timeline tab in the Font group by clicking on the bar.
- Click on the bar or diamond and from the Font group on the Timeline tab, choose Highlight color to change the fill color.
- To change the background color for the timeline, click on free space in the timeline and go to Font group in the Timeline
- Choose Highlight color to pick the desired color.
How to indent or outdent tasks in the task list
- Click the space to the left of the checkbox for the task you want to indent or outdent.
- You can also select multiple tasks by pressing Ctrl and clicking the space left to the checkboxes near as much as tasks you want.
- You can then choose Indent or Outdent from Tasks tab in the Hierarchy group.
- Alt+Shift+Right Arrow is the keyboard shortcut to indent, whereas Alt+Shift+Left Arrow outdents a selected task.
How to move tasks up and down in a task list
- Select the task by clicking on the space to the left of the checkbox.
- Drag the task to the desired position in the timeline.
- This method works only when the tasks list is open for editing.
- Alt+Shift+Up Arrow is the keyboard shortcut to move the task up and Alt+Shift+Down Arrow moves the task down.
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.