Welcome to the fourth part of our Blog Series ‘All That You Should Know About Modern Pages. Thank you so much for the warm response for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions of this series. Your interest and support made us come up with a more informative and interesting 4th edition. Today we will share details about adding columns and sections to a SharePoint Modern Page.
One main objective behind adding columns and sections to SharePoint Modern Pages is to give shape to layouts that are attractive and nicely organized. For showcasing content side-by-side, you could add up to a maximum of 3 columns to each section. You can also add a full-width column to a page that belongs to a Communication Site, to develop a column that spans the whole page. Vertical sections are added to the right side of the pages usually to showcase Contacts, Countdown timers, quick links, etc. You can choose the type of sections and number of columns you wish to add to a page, based on the proposed layout.
How to Add Columns to A SharePoint Modern Page
Here are the steps you need to follow for adding a section with columns to a SharePoint Modern Page.
- Go to the page to which you wish to make the changes.
- Click on Edit option provided at the top right corner of the page to enter edit mode.
- Move your cursor towards the bottom part of a web part in the page, or below the title area, and click on the circled + sign to ‘Add a new section’.
- From the Section layout pane that opens, choose the number of sections you wish to add, or a full-width column based on requirement.
- Full-width column will be available only when you are editing a page that is part of a communication site.
How to Add A Vertical Section to A SharePoint Modern Page
Before getting into the step by step instructions to add a vertical section to a SharePoint Modern Page, we would like to share some general information regarding vertical sections. Vertical sections are made available only for the right side of the page. We cannot define the length of the vertical section manually; it will grow or shrink depending on the content shared on the page. It is not possible to use both a full-width column and a vertical section on a single page.
Follow the steps below to add a vertical section to a SharePoint Modern Page.
- Go to the page and click on Edit from the top right part of the page to enter edit mode.
- Move your mouse towards the bottom part of the title area or near to an existing web part and discover a circled + sign.
- Click on the Add a new section + sign and from the Section layout pane choose Vertical section.
How to Change an Already Existing Section on A Page
If you are removing a column from a page where there are 2 or more columns, the content which was in the rightmost column will be shifted to the next column to its left. If there is only one column left, then content from the other columns will be shifted to the bottom on the column left.
Here are the steps to make changes to an existing section:
- Go to the SharePoint Modern Page to which you wish to make changes.
- Enter edit mode by clicking on the Edit option placed at the top right part of the page.
- Identify each section on the page by looking for the dotted lines.
- Choose the section you wish to make changes and click on Edit section option placed on the left side of the page.
- From the Section pane, you can change the number of columns and background colors for the section.
- Background colors will be made available based on your site theme.
How to Add Content to A Column
Follow the steps below to add content to a column in your SharePoint Modern Page.
- Go to the page and enter edit mode by clicking on Edit option from the top right part of the page.
- Choose the column you wish to add content.
- Bring your cursor over the column and click on the circled + icon.
- You can then choose the type of web part you wish to add to the column and then update the web part with designated content.
We hope you got a clear idea about adding, editing and customizing sections and columns on your SharePoint Modern Page from this blog post. If you have any comments, suggestions, or feedback regarding the topic, let us know through our Facebook page.
Have a nice day!
Written by Alex K Joseph
Alex Joseph is a Digital Marketing Strategist with explicit knowledge in Content Marketing and Microsoft Technologies. A writer by day, Alex is a night owl and a DIYer. Alex's theory is to make businesses achieve success with modern solutions and smart exploitation of resources.